Monday, February 9, 2009

It's been a while.

I feel kinda bad because I haven't been able to keep up with my blog. The last time I made an entry was about two weeks ago, but a lot has happened since then.

First and foremost I got promoted to meat department at work, which is the highest paid department in the store. For now I will only be the entry level position which consists of making sure the cold cases are always stocked and rotated properly. It doesn't seem glamorous, but if I prove myself then after a year I will be trained as a journeyman meat cutter which make 25 dollars an hour. That's put a lot of things in perspective for me. That kind of money is enough to make a career out of - plus I have full benefits and a bunch of other perks as well. It isn't a dream job by any means, but if I look at it realistically, given the current state of the economy, it might be the best chance I get at making a living.
I've always wanted to be a journalist or a camera man or any job that would keep me traveling because I hate being idle in one place for too long. Some times it can get so bad that every great once and a while I will be driving home from work or school or a friends house and I will keep driving. Last time was in the middle of october. I had gotten off work at 10pm and was driving home, but I passed the offramp that led to my house and I kept driving all the way to bodega bay and sat on the beach for a few hours, before driving back to work at 4 for my opening shift at 7am.
Not quite sure what that had to do with anything, but oh well.
So yeah, I'm thinking of possibly putting college on hold right now and just focusing on my job. As is right now, I have no days off. I work tuesday and thursday thru sunday from 6am to 2:30pm and have school all day on monday and wednesday. It's been working out okay so far, but it sucks not having a life. Basically, if i want to function properly, I have to go to sleep at 8:30 every night of the week, otherwise i'm fucked the next day. That and my roommates aren't exactly conducive to me having a restful night sleep.
The good that has come of this is that I'm falling into a routine. Before the promotion, my work schedule was anywhere from shifts starting at 7 and ending at 4 or starting at 1 and ending at ten, so anything I wanted to do was basically day to day. I was always too lazy to clean my room or do the dishes, even if they weren't mine to do, or just do any general upkeep of the house. Now when I come home I'll take 30 minutes and just make sure everything that needs to be cleaned or picked up gets done, go to the gym, see my girlfriend if we both have time, make dinner, read or do homework, then go to sleep.
It's a much, much more busy and strict way of living, but honestly I find myself much less stressed and more positive feeling in general. It's amazing what a little organization can do.
Kind of going back to work, the only thing I don't like about my job is how friendly I have to be. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be a dick to the customers, but our expectations are such that you have to say hi and start a mini conversation with every person that walks by you or you make eye contact with. Sometimes I just want to be left alone to do my work, but here comes jaded granny asshole thinking we have better dates of milk in the dairy box and yells at us to get one for her, no matter how many times I tell her the dates out front are the sames as the one in the back. I have to talk so much at work that I don't really feel like talking anywhere else that isn't with friends or family. Like in class discussions, I have opinions and things I want to say generally, but I'm just too demotivated to really care to voice them. I really hope that doesn't make me seem pretentious, I just have to do so much talking that I value times when I can just sit and observe rather than participate. Aw shit, I think I just heard my grade plummet.
That's pretty much my goingoings since last post. Hopefully next time I can go on a rant about how much something sucks or how wonderful something is instead of boring people with my life.

1 comment:

  1. I can understand your frustration at being nice. I worked at the Disney Dtore for three years when I was in college. Talk about getting sick of smiling and being happy. The cheery music would run on an endless loop all day and most fo the customers were middle-aged mothers, which I think are the worst people when shopping. I finally quit because I decided I couldn't love Disney and work for them at the same time.

    Congratulations on the promotion!

    ReplyDelete